lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kelvin Tan <lists-kel...@relevanz.com>
Subject Re: Search in all fields
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:56:43 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:11:34 -0500, Grant Ingersoll said:

> You can use the MultiFieldQueryParser, which will generate a query against all
of the fields you
> specify, or you could index all of your documents into one or two common
fields and search
> against them.  Since you have a lot of fields, I would guess the latter is the
better choice.

Don't you mean "add one or two common fields to all your documents"? Or am I
mistaken.

Anyway, I believe adding of this common field constitutes a best-practice, since
you definitely need these fields if one wishes to perform a date-range-only
search.

Would probably be a good idea to start a best-practices page in the Wiki.