lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: Caching and paging search results
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:32:22 GMT
On Monday 08 March 2004 12:34, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> In the RealWorld... many applications actually just re-run a search and
> jump to the appropriate page within the hits.... searching is generally
> plenty fast enough to alleviate concerns of caching.
>
> However, if you need to cache Hits, you need to be sure to keep around
> the originating IndexSearcher as well.

Further, oftentimes search index only contains key to actual content indexed
(which itself is stored as a file, in database, or so)... so it's enough to
cache just set of such ids, not actual search result objects.
And assuming ids are simple (int id, short String), such information can be
stored in, say, user session.
In system I'm working on, we store up to 500 hits, only storing document id
(int) and hit quality (byte), stored in session.

-+ Tatu +-