lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Aitken" <>
Subject Simultaneous index update and searching
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:54:04 GMT
We are wanting to develop a search system using Lucene and need to be able to update our index
frequently, while allowing searches to be performed with little interruption.
In this context, the FAQ Question 41 from the SEARCHING SECTION (41. Can I modify the index
while performing ongoing searches?) makes it clear that one must use work-arounds, because
Lucene is not thread-safe in this regard.

However, the FAQ answer is stated to have been written in June 2001. Because that is so long
ago, I would like to ask:
Is the answer to Question 41 still current, or is Lucene now thread-safe with simultaneous
index modifications and searches?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message