lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Clandes Tino <>
Subject Highlighting problem
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:19:28 GMT
Hi all,
I have incorporated highlighting package
but I am worried about the following issue.

If I want to display "body" field content’s best
segments, containing term from query highlighted, I
have to define Field "body" as Stored.

So, complete process would be like this:
Index related work:
1. parse uploaded document into temp ASCII file
2. read ASCII file and append its content to String
3. make Field as Text(String name, String value)

Search related work:
1. Retrieve field “body” String value from the hit
(again - only way to do this - as I have understood –
is to declare Field “body” as Stored)
2. pass the String value to Highlighter methods.
Besides that in Lucene FAQ I have read that “body”
fields are not good candidates to be declared as
Stored. Index size is one obvious reason, but I am
wondering, how it implies Lucene search performance in

Has somebody an idea how to include highlight
functionality in Unstored Field?

Regards and thanx in advance

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: