lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <>
Subject Wierd Search Behavior
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:49:19 GMT
I'm experiencing some very puzzling search behavior.  I am using the CVS head I pulled about
a week ago.  I use the StandardAnalyzer and QueryParser.  I have a collection of XML documents
indexed.  One field is "subhead", and here's what I find with different queries:
subhead:(missile defense)    - works fine
subhead("missile" "defense") - works fine
subhead("missile defense") - fails
subhead(missile defense "missile defense") - fails
subhead(missile defense "missile dork") - works fine
subhead(missile defense "missile defens") - works fine (note misspelling)

At the moment, I can't find any other field or phrase that does this.  However, according
to my notes (as I'm no longer trusting my mind on this), about a week ago (about the time
I started using the new CVS version) I noticed similar behavior with the query 'subhead:"al
qaeda" - but that now works perfectly fine! Same thing with the query 'summary:"heart disease";
it failed to work and then a day or so later, it worked.  (I merge new documents into the
master index each day.)

Any ideas on what might possibly be going on would be very much appreciated.