lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Wierd Search Behavior
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:49:19 GMT
I'm experiencing some very puzzling search behavior.  I am using the CVS head I pulled about
a week ago.  I use the StandardAnalyzer and QueryParser.  I have a collection of XML documents
indexed.  One field is "subhead", and here's what I find with different queries:
subhead:(missile defense)    - works fine
subhead("missile" "defense") - works fine
subhead("missile defense") - fails
subhead(missile defense "missile defense") - fails
subhead(missile defense "missile dork") - works fine
subhead(missile defense "missile defens") - works fine (note misspelling)

At the moment, I can't find any other field or phrase that does this.  However, according
to my notes (as I'm no longer trusting my mind on this), about a week ago (about the time
I started using the new CVS version) I noticed similar behavior with the query 'subhead:"al
qaeda" - but that now works perfectly fine! Same thing with the query 'summary:"heart disease";
it failed to work and then a day or so later, it worked.  (I merge new documents into the
master index each day.)

Any ideas on what might possibly be going on would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Terry