lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: too many files open error
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:44:28 GMT
On Mar 27, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Charlie Smith wrote:
> What would be the URL for the JUnit stuff?

Look in the src/test directory of where you checked out Lucene.  All
JUnit tests live there and below.

> BTW: I was able to build a new Index.class file, with the additional
> line
> iw.setUserCompoundFile(true)  after extracting the
> lucene-1.4-rc1-dev.jar.
>
> Then reindexed.  Guess what - no worky.  :(

Maybe you'd care to share some *technical* details to elaborate on "no
worky"?!

What Index.class are you talking about?  The demo application?

> Can I get 1.3-RC2?  Could someone point me to the URL for this
> download please
> ;)

Use CVS :)

> I noticed following entry in mail archives:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/
> msg06118.html
>
> along with 139 others that dealt with the "too many files open"
> problem.
>
> Looks like this is a high priority problem that might justify a new
> release in
> and of itself?

People have been using Lucene for years and managing the file handle
issue by setting ulimit and other tricks like optimizing to reduce the
number of segments.  So it is not as much a problem as it is a known
issue that can be managed.

I'm not up to speed on what the issues with 1.3 final are - I've just
started hearing about it.  Is there a reproducible example that
demonstrates a problem?

	Erik