lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Boris Goldowsky <bo...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Overriding coordination
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:12:06 GMT
I have a situation where I'm querying for something in several fields,
with a clause similar to this:
  (title:(two words)^20  keywords:(two words)^10  body:(two words))

Some good documents are being scored too low if the query terms do not
occur in the "body" field.  I naively thought that would only make a few
% difference, because of the large boosts on the title and keywords
fields, but in fact the document loses 1/3 of its score because of the
coordination term (2/3 rather than 1, because only 2 out of the three
clauses matched).

Now, I love the coordination term for the multiple-word queries
(including the ones embedded in the query above), but for the
conjunction of the different fields I'd like to remove it, and just have
each clause add its score.  I feel like there's a way to do this,
perhaps with a custom Similarity subclass, but I can't quite see how to
set it up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps suggest a
different pathway that I'm missing?

Thanks a lot,

Boris