lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: Using lucene as search engine to replace sql queries
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:01:20 GMT
Thanx for the quick reply.. I already started working on it :)

> > - Is Lucene the way to go for this use scenario ?
>
> I am not sure.  RDMBS are the tool to use for queries that use Boolean
> logic.  You still could use Lucene to index your data by converting
> each row in your database to a Lucene Document.

The problem with boolean data in an RDMS, is that you will end up with
huge query statements, which doesn't make the database any faster,
unless you do some real db optimalisation, which can be pretty hard when
you try to be db independent. I am confident (implementing a test
scenario already) that Lucene will give us what we need..

Thanx for the quick reply..

> Otis

Mvgr,
Martin