lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Using lucene as search engine to replace sql queries
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:03:34 GMT
Hi everyone,

We have a database where in one table it contains an id and a name.
(like 1,Human 2,Man 3,Dutch)
The second table contains an id, a relationId and a reference to the
previous table.
So if a relation with id 1 is human is a Man and is Dutch the table will
contain
1, 1, 1
2, 1, 2
3, 1, 3
You probably get the picture.

We want to be able to eg query all humans that are Dutch. (we don't care
if it is a man or woman). Using sql can be quite horrific for these kind
of queries.

I thought that maybe Lucene could do the indexing for us instead of the
sql database.

It is not uncommon that the table with names contain about 3 million
entries and the relationship table can be a multiple of 3 million.

The question is :

- Is Lucene capable of handling huge amounts of data ?
- The result always must be EXACT. So no fuzzy stuff. If it has the
keywords in the index, show it, else never show it (so a query for
Human, Man, Dutch, should not return any people from Belgium). (I assume
this should be possible)
- Besides the index information we want to be able to store some extra
data (like a description), that can be used to create an object we can
use in our system.
- Is Lucene the way to go for this use scenario ?

Thanx for your help.

--
Mvgr,
Martin