lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stephane James Vaucher <vauch...@cirano.qc.ca>
Subject Re: Incrementally updating and monitoring the index
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:10:01 GMT
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 lucene@nitwit.de wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can Lucene incrementally update its index (i.e. balancing will a list of docs
> and removing those that are no more found)?

Incremental updates (additions and deletions) are possible, but I'm not
sure if I understand your question. Lucene holds its own instances of
documents structured in text fields (not going into details here). There
lucene documents are created and updated programatically, not
automatically because lucene does not keep tabs on external documents.

> I'd like to monitor the index for certain queries/terms, i.e. I want to be
> notified if there are (new) hits for a list of terms each time after I add a
> document to the index - continously.
>
> Is this possibe? The index will contain several hundrets of thousands of
> documents and will be frequently accessed concurrently.

Very possible, before adding a document, you can check (with the judicious
use of an id) if it has already been added. If it hasn't, do your
notification, but this requires programming.

For concurrent write access, there is a lock, do you might want to use a
singleton responsible for adding documents.

> TIA
> Timo

HTH,
sv