lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Index advice...
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:13:40 GMT

On Feb 10, 2004, at 14:03, Scott ganyo wrote:

> I have.  While document.add() itself doesn't increase over time, the
> merge does.  Ways of partially overcoming this include increasing the
> mergeFactor (but this will increase the number of file handles used),
> or building blocks of the index in memory and then merging them to
> disk.  This has been discussed before, so you should be able to find
> additional information on this fairly easily.

This is what I noticed also: adding documents by itself is a fairly
benign operation, but anything that triggers an index merge in one form
or another is a killer as an index grows in size.

So, overall, adding more documents does slow down the indexing.

At least this is the impression I get. But I would love to be proven
wrong on this :)

Cheers,

PA.