lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Search Refinement Approaches
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:19:59 GMT
On Feb 7, 2004, at 5:32 PM, Ramy Hardan wrote:
> Is there an efficient way to search refinement preferably without
> losing the Hits class?

I'm not quite following your Filter questions, but QueryFilter seems to
fit the bill for what you are trying to do.  Just keep around the
previous query, and filter on it for successive searches.

> Last question about document numbers:
> When and how exactly do they change? The javadoc states they change
> upon addition and deletion. May I assume that a particular document
> number is stable as long as it is not changed (deleted and added)
> although other documents are added/deleted and optimize() is NOT
> called? If yes, is this about to change in the foreseeable future?

Document numbers change when a hole has been made by a delete and the
index is optimized.  So, I think your assumption is fine, but
personally I'm weary of relying on something potentially transient.
Perhaps there is another way to accomplish what you are after?  A
TermQuery is very fast, so maybe that could get you directly to a
document of interest instead?

	Erik