lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Smith" <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject Another Newbie question--FSDirectory
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:03:38 GMT
I was creating the IndexSearcher using a standard String containing the
Lucene index directory pathname.  I noticed that "everyone" seems to
create a FSDirectory and use that to create the searcher.  However, no
one seems to use this for the IndexWriter.  Can someone tell me what the
advantage of using the FSDirectory is over just specifying the index
directory in a String? why it would be used for searching, but not for
indexing?  Anything else relevant to FSDirectory?  Is it mostly
convention and the real reason for it's existence is when you use the
RAMDirectory or CompoundFileDirectory (or you don't want some method to
care what flavor directory it is looking at)?

Scott