lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Markus Brosch" <bro...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: index: how to store binary data or objects ?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:53:34 GMT
> 1. Store the binary data in files and store the path in Lucene. There's
> scallability issues here when you handle more than a few hundred
> thousand objects.

> 2. Store the binary data in a database and store a unique id in Lucene.
> This will scale better but binary data fetching from the db might be
> slow.

Thank you all for your comments!
In general I understand your suggestions - mostly because of scaling issues.

My application will deal with "small" data sets. The problem is, that I want
to index the content (String) of some objects. I want to refer to that
object once I found this by a keyword or whatever.  So, using a simple map or
tree?

Another problem is, that my objects can change their content and must be
"reindexed". Is it possible to remove the single index for that object and build
a new one without reindexing all?

Thank you for help!
Best regards, Markus