lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: segments question
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:31:23 GMT
On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:58 PM, sam xia wrote:

>> I'd recommend a pool of filters for each category.
>> Regenerate them
>> when the index changes, otherwise leave the
>> instances alive and reuse
>> them for queries - this will speed things up pretty
>> dramatically I'd
>> guess.  There is a QueryFilter you could use, or
>> write a custom one
>> that could be faster.
>>
>> 	Erik
>>
> thanks for your quick response, Erik. BTW, I checked
> your web site, the logo is cool.

haha.... I'll take that a hint that I should put more there than a
"splash" page :)

> Is there a way to store the filter cache to hard
> drive? Then I can just read it from hard drive. Since
> I have lots of categories, it might be impossible to
> cashe every query filter bitsets in memory.

BitSet's are tiny - so you'd have to have a *lot* of categories to fill
up a decent sized RAM.

But Filter is Serializable, so you could (in theory) persist them
somewhere.

> How about I keep every category to one segment?

I'm not sure how you'd ensure that.  Never optimize?

You could have a separate index per category, but you already mentioned
that I think and it would take up file handles.

>  Then I
> have 10000 segements to work with. Is it going to be
> faster than the filter solution?

Filters are fast.

	Erik