lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel B. Davis" <...@smart.net>
Subject Re: 'Sponsored' links
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:07:33 GMT
At 02:27 PM 2/16/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>Daniel B. Davis wrote:
>>Are there other strategies not considered?
>
>Why not store sponsored documents in a separate index, separately
>searched, whose results are placed above those from the non-sponsored
>documents?
>
>Doug

What would that do?  Each separate index would need to be searched for
eligible documents.  The idea is to find all qualifying documents held at
the site, then to prefer certain ones by displaying them before others.  I
understand Lucene does this naturally using the score achieved by the
search process. I understand that 'boost' affects that score, and thus, the
display order. Is this incorrect or inaccurate?  What is gained by a
separate index?  One separate index? A separate index for each
sponsor?  What if the same document has multiple sponsors?  In #1 and #2 of
the original discussion, the maximum sponsored value could be used to set
the boost, but at different times.