lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Leading Wild Card Search
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:00:50 GMT
Vipul Sagare wrote:

>Lucene docs, FAQs and other research indicates
>

>Note: Leading wildcards (e.g. *ook) are not supported.
>

>Is there any work around for implementation of such feature (if one has
>to implement)?

I've written a PrefixQuery and it's not hard to do  -I can post it too.
Problem is that it is not integrated into the query parser (.jj) so odds
are noone will use it, and the general sentiment on this list (and
lucene-dev)
is that prefix queries are evil because it's an expensive operation as
the query
code has to traverse all terms to "expand" the query. I would prefer
a more user oriented view i.e. just allow it as sometimes it's what you
need and
the only alternative I can think of, doing a fuzzy query, isn't quite right.