lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQLDirectory
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:28:07 GMT
That sort of representation works well for a static index, but it's not
efficient to modify.  One could do this in Lucene by directly
implementing the IndexReader API against an SQL database.  The database
tables could be populated from a file-based IndexReader.  But I think
implementing IndexWriter this way would be very slow.

Doug

Chong, Herb wrote:
> there are a couple of people who participated in TREC that used a relational database
to directly store the postings list for each term. from what i recall, search performance
in terms of elapsed time was reasonable, not particularly fast nor slow. i gather that each
term's posting list was an individual BLOB in the database. the term string was used as the
index column. i believe the group used stemming.