lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQLDirectory
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:11:06 GMT
Dror Matalon wrote:
> I suspect you're going to get lousy performence compared to using
> regular files.

Perhaps, but in theory it shouldn't be a lot worse than, e.g., accessing
an index over NFS.  The tables might get fragmented as the index
evolves, and database optimization might help performance.

> Why is it that you want to save the index files in a db?

> It's not like you'll have any additional meta data or functionality. The
> only advantage that I can think of is that you can have control of
> read/write locking across machines. In other words, you can have one
> machine doing the writing and one or more machines doing the
> reading/searching.

Transactional consistency is another reason: index data and application
data can always be synchronized.

Also, in some environments, the only supported access to reliable,
redundant, shared data might be through a database.  An SQLDirectory
would enable one to deploy a Lucene-based application in such an
environment without having to, e.g., get permission from operations to
enable NFS.

Doug