lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From sam xia <hope...@yahoo.com>
Subject segments question
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:01:49 GMT
Hi,

My pages can be sorted to about 10000 sub categories.
Each category could have up to 1 million html pages.
(of course, right now I do not have this yet. I am on
the early staging of thinking...) The index will be
stored in hard disk.

A user may be interested in 10 out of the 10000 sub
categories depending on the query string. I would like
to have the search within the 10 sub categories. I do
not want to waste time searching on 9990 categories.

One approach is to build each category into a segment.
Then there will be 10000 segments. So the query will
be run within the 10 segments. But putting 10000 sub
folders to a hard drive could slow things down, since
hard disk seek is slow.

Or should I build the whole thing into one big segment
and use the filter to do this. There is a DateFilter.
Is there a way to implement a category filter?

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks very much