lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "tom wa" <>
Subject Re: Date Range support
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:21:54 GMT
From: Erik Hatcher
> On Jan 29, 2004, at 5:08 AM, tom wa wrote:
> > I'm trying to create an index which can also be searched with date
> > ranges. My first attempt using the Lucene date format ran in to
> > trouble after my index grew and I couldn't search over more than a few
> > days.
> >  the suggestion
> > seemed to be to use strings of the format yyyyMMdd. Using that format
> > worked great until I remembered that my search needs
> >  to be able to support different timezones. Adding the hour to my
> > field causes the same problem above and my queries stop working when
> > using a range of about 2 months.
> When you say you couldn't search and that it stopped working, do you
> mean it was just unacceptably slow?

(Sorry it's taken me a while to reply)

It wasn't slow, my timeout is far greater than the time it takes to come back with no hits.

A small example of a query would be (date: [200306081900 TO 200306201200]) AND (text: sometext)
and this will return zero hits. The index contains about 1000 items for each 24hr period and
the total number of documents was about 150k. I had the same results when using Lucene's built
in date format too. If you think it should be able to cope with what I am trying to do then
I'll take another look.

Thanks again.

Sign-up for Ads Free at

To unsubscribe, e-mail: