lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Index advice...
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:17:53 GMT

--- Leo Galambos <Leo.G@seznam.cz> wrote:
> Otis Gospodnetic napsal(a):
>
> >>Thus I do not know how it could be O(1).
> >>

> >~ O(1) is what I have observed through experiments with indexing of
> >several million documents.
> >

> What did you exactly measured? Just the time of the insert operation
> (incl. merge(), of course)? Was it a test on real documents?

I didn't really measure anything, I only observed this, as my focus was
something else, not performance measurements.
It is true that every time an insert/add triggers a merge operation,
things will slow down, but from what I recall (and this was about 1
year ago), the overall performance was steady as the index grew.

Documents were articifially created from random dictionary words.
Their size was variable, but not by a lot.

Otis