lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Caroline Jen <jiapei_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Need Advices and Help
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:25:29 GMT
Hi, I did not explain my problem well; henceforth,
resulting in some misunderstanding.  And I do not have
any experience in the Lucene.

My Project: build a message inbox for all "registered
members" of a web site.

Messages:

     Messages are sent and received "within" the web
site.  Messages are not going to be sent or received
over the internet.  Therefore, mail readers are not
involved.  And there is no message header.

     Messages are sent from one member to another
member on the web site.  Therefore, my program reads a
message similar to the way of reading a filled-out
form.  My program reads and stores the text fields;
such as receiver, sender, subject, message body.  And
I know how to read data and store data into a database
using Java.

Problem:

     I have to provide a message inbox for each member
of the web site.  Therefore, when a member clicks on
the "View Messages" button, I must search the database
for MemberName == receiver
and shows an inbox for that member.  The inbox should
have a number of threads (i.e. discussion topics) that
were forwarded to that registered member.

And, if a certain thread is selected for viewing, I am
supposed to show several postings under that
particular discussion topic.

So, Lucene is supposed to search

1. MemberName == receiver and list all threads in a
certain order for that member

2. search all postings and list them in a certain
order under a selected thread

post receiver (register member) --> threads --> posts

I have figured out all the properties of a thread;
such as threadID, receiver, sender,
lastPostMemberName, threadCreationDate,
threadLastPostDate, threadViewCount, threadReplyCount,
..., etc.

I have also figured out all the properties of a
posting; such as postID, parentPostID, threadID,
receiver, sender, lastEditMemberName, postTopic,
postBody, postCreationDate, postLastEditDate, ...,
etc.

What is the proper way of indexing messages?  And how
do I use the Lucene to do the search later on?

-C

http://zoe.nu/itstories/story.php?data=stories&num=24&sec=3