lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ke...@ckhill.com
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:29:36 GMT
Hey Lucene-users,

I'm setting up a Lucene index on 5G of PDF files (full-text search).  I've
been really happy with Lucene so far but I'm curious what tips and strategies
I can use to optimize my performance at this large size.

So far I am using pretty much all of the defaults (I'm new to Lucene).

I am using PDFBox to add the documents to the index.
I can usually add about 800 or so PDF files and then the add loop:

for ( int i = 0; i < fileNames.length; i++ ) {
	Document doc = IndexFile.index(baseDirectory+documentRoot+"fileNames
[i]);
	writer.addDocument(doc);
}

really starts to slow down.  Doesn't seem to be memory related.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance,
CK Hill