lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <sack...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: ppt text extraction - Re: SearchBlox J2EE Search Component Version 1.2 released
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:10:53 GMT
> When you get down to it, I have found that "portable c" tools (above)
> work better
> than the pure java ones avail.  To be fair however I have found that POI
> does work fine
> for XLS docs.

Gee thanks, your so generous with your praise.

I would recommend the OpenOffice SDK if you don't mind "portable c". It
supports all the possible MS Office formats going back to the dark ages. It
has a built-in Java programming interface, you don't have to compile it
yourself using cygwin, and it has a huge team of developers working 40+
hours a week to squash any bugs.

-Ryan