lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IndexHTML example on Jakarta Site
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:44:55 GMT
On Jan 2, 2004, at 11:49 AM, Colin McGuigan wrote:
> 1. How do you specify which directory is to be searched
> ( I assumed it was the current directory ie tomcat\webapps but when I
> put in
> more searchable content nothing comes up in the search
> I have also tried typing java
> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index{content}.. where
> content is
> the directory with the content but this still doesnt work)

Quite sadly, the demo application that ships with Lucene is inadequate
for a nice sales pitch or starter demo to lure folks in.  It is my plan
(eventually - more later than sooner at this point, but you can
definitely count on it from me) to enhance the demo application to be
quite nice and easy to use.

> 2. What is the easiest way to specify fields (such as title, etc) to be
> searched?
> (i.e. what file needs changed to allow me to search for specific
> fields)

The source code to HTMLDocument shows what fields are indexed.  To
search on a specific field, use the syntax you see here:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/queryparsersyntax.html>

> 3. Is there a very simple step by step guide for someone new on how to
> use
> lucene.
> (I have looked at Jakartas site but still do not the answers to the
> above)

There are articles available on the resources page:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/resources.html>, and a new one
of mine that isn't listed there (yet) at
<http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/11/07/QueryParserRules.html>

My recommendation is for you to do your own experimenting and not try
to tinker with the demo application.  What you need to know to use
Lucene effectively is actually quite simple and you can glean all of
that from the articles in a cleaner way than the demo app.

	Erik