lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Query Term Questions
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:31:46 GMT
On Jan 20, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to set the query boost factor depending not on the
> presence of a term, but on the presence of two specific terms?  For
> example, I may want to boost the relevance of a document that contains
> both "iraq" and "clerics", but not boost the relevance of documents
> that contain only one or the other terms. (The idea is better
> discrimination than if I simply boosted both terms.)

But doesn't the query itself take this into account?  If there are
multiple matching terms then the overlap (coord) factor kicks in.

> 2) Is it possible to apply (or simulate) a negative query boost
> factor?  For example, I may have a complex query with lots of terms
> but want to reduce the relevance of a matching document that also
> included the term "iowa". ( The idea is for an easier and more
> discriminating way than simply increasing the relevance of all other
> terms besides "iowa").

Another reply mentioned negative boosting.  Is that not working as
you'd like?

> 3) Is there a way to handle variants of a phrase without OR'ing
> together the variants?  For example, I may want to find documents
> dealing with North Korea; the terms might be "north korea" or "north
> korean" or "north koreans" - is there a way to handle this with a
> single term using wildcards?

Sounds like what you're really after is fancier analysis.  This is one
of the purposes of analysis, to do stemming.

	Erik