lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karl Koch" <>
Subject Term weighting and Term boost
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:00:36 GMT
Hello all,

I am new to the Lucene scene and have a few questions regarding the term
boost physolophy:

Is the term boost equal to a term weight? Example: If I boost a term with
0.2 does this mean the term has a weight of 0.2 then?

If this is not the case, how is the term weight of the query calculated
then? Formula? Are there parts in it which I cannot influence? Does this formular
depend on the type of Query or is it independent. Maybe somebody can provide
a small code example?

Give the following code:

TermQuery termQuery1 = new TermQuery(new Term("contents", "house"));
TermQuery termQuery2 = new TermQuery(new Term("contents", "tree"));
termQuery2.setBoost( ? );
BooleanQuery finalQuery = new BooleanQuery();
finalQuery.add(termQuery1, true, false);
finalQuery.add(termQuery2, true, false);

How can I realise that the term "tree" is double as important for search
than "house"?

Many questions I know but I am sure that the experts here can answer them

Neu: Preissenkung für MMS und FreeMMS!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message