lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Query question
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:26:32 GMT
On Jan 12, 2004, at 7:49 PM, Scott Smith wrote:
> Does the following do that:
>
> 	BooleanQuery Query QA = new Boolean Query();
> 	Query qa1 = QueryParser.parse("A1", "FieldA", analyzer());
> 	Query qa2 = QueryParser.parse("A2", "FieldA", analyzer());
> 	QA.add(qa1, false, false);	// this term is not required
> 	QA.add(qa2, false, false);	// this term is not required
>
> 	BooleanQuery QB = new BooleanQuery();
> 	Query qb1 = QueryParser.parse("B1", "FieldB", analyzer());
> 	Query qb2 = QueryParser.parse("B2", "FieldB", analyzer());
> 	QB.add(qb1, false, false);	// this term is not required
> 	QB.add(qb2, false, false);	// this term is not required
>
> 	BooleanQuery Qfinal = new BooleanQuery();
> 	Qfinal.add(QA, true, false);	// gotta have at least one from here
> 	Qfinal.add(QB, true, false);	// gotta have at least one from here
>
> 	hits = mySearcher.search(Qfinal);

Your use of QueryParser is unnecessary.  Simply construct TermQuery's
instead.   Otherwise, what you are doing looks fine.

> I guess I'm assuming that if I add a queries to a BooleanQuery and
> none of
> the items are required, there still needs to be a hit on at least one
> of the
> items for the Document to make it out of the BooleanQuery.

Right.   A OR B means that either A or B have to be present, but if
neither are present then there is no match.

> Is this the right way to do this?  Is there an easier/faster way to do
> the
> same thing?

You're asking a pretty general question - are you really just using two
terms for each field?  What you've shown based on the example (with the
exception of using QueryParser) is fine.

	Erik