lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Scott Smith <SSm...@MainstreamData.com>
Subject RE: Philosophy(??) question
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:23:45 GMT
I looked at PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper.  Seems perfect for what I want.
Thanks.

Some day, I'd be interested to understand the "deeper question".

Thanks again

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 3:19 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Philosophy(??) question

On Jan 12, 2004, at 7:59 PM, Scott Smith wrote:
> I have some documents I'm indexing which have multiple languages in
> them
> (i.e., some fields in the document are always English; other fields
> may be
> other languages).  Now, I understand why a query against a certain
> field
> must use the same analyzer as was used when that field was indexed
> (stemming, stop words, etc.).  It seems like different fields could use
> different analyzers and the world would still be a happy place.
> However,
> since the analyzer() is passed in as part of the IndexWriter, that
> can't
> happen.  Is there a way to do this (other than having multiple indexes
> which
> is a problem trying to do combined searches)?  Or am I missing
> something
> more subtle?  Sorry if I'm plowing old ground.

The new PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper (in v. 1.3) allows you to specify
different analyzers, as its name says, per field.  You simply specify
which analyzer to use as a default and then any special ones for
individual fields.

As for using the same analyzer for querying as for indexing - that is a
deeper question that I've yet to agree with.  There are some
interesting reasons why you may want a different one - although they
must "cooperate" in some fashion.

	Erik