lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Scott Smith <SSm...@MainstreamData.com>
Subject Philosophy(??) question
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:59:43 GMT
I have some documents I'm indexing which have multiple languages in them
(i.e., some fields in the document are always English; other fields may be
other languages).  Now, I understand why a query against a certain field
must use the same analyzer as was used when that field was indexed
(stemming, stop words, etc.).  It seems like different fields could use
different analyzers and the world would still be a happy place.  However,
since the analyzer() is passed in as part of the IndexWriter, that can't
happen.  Is there a way to do this (other than having multiple indexes which
is a problem trying to do combined searches)?  Or am I missing something
more subtle?  Sorry if I'm plowing old ground.

Scott