lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Query Term Questions
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:22:50 GMT
1) Is there a way to set the query boost factor depending not on the presence of a term, but
on the presence of two specific terms?  For example, I may want to boost the relevance of
a document that contains both "iraq" and "clerics", but not boost the relevance of documents
that contain only one or the other terms. (The idea is better discrimination than if I simply
boosted both terms.)

2) Is it possible to apply (or simulate) a negative query boost factor?  For example, I may
have a complex query with lots of terms but want to reduce the relevance of a matching document
that also included the term "iowa". ( The idea is for an easier and more discriminating way
than simply increasing the relevance of all other terms besides "iowa").

3) Is there a way to handle variants of a phrase without OR'ing together the variants?  For
example, I may want to find documents dealing with North Korea; the terms might be "north
korea" or "north korean" or "north koreans" - is there a way to handle this with a single
term using wildcards?

Regards,

Terry