lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Grant Ingersoll" <gsing...@syr.edu>
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:48:36 GMT
Hi,

I have seen the example SAX based XML processing in the Lucene sandbox (thanks to the authors
for contributing!) and have successfully adapted this approach for my application.  The one
thing that does not sit well with me is the fact that I am using the method Field.Text(String,
String) instead of the Field.Text(String, Reader) version, which means I am storing the contents
in the index.

Some questions:

1. Should I care?  What is the cost of storing the contents of these files versus using the
Reader based method.  Presumably, the index size is going to be larger, but will it adversaly
effect search time?  If yes, how much so (relatively speaking)?

2. If storing the content is going to adversaly effect searching, has anyone written an XMLReader
that extends java.io.Reader.  I guess it would need to take in the name of the tag(s) that
you want the reader to retrieve and then extend all of the java.io.Reader results to return
values based on just the tag values that I am interested in.  Has anyone taken this approach?
 If not, does it at least seem like a valid approach?

Thanks for your help!

-Grant Ingersoll