lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Viparthi, Kiran (AFIS)" <Kiran.Vipar...@fao.org>
Subject Query expansion
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:59:34 GMT
We want to provide "did you mean" search suggestions on our search results
pages. Most of the "did you mean" searches will be derived from synonyms,
translations and other information from our ontology(KAON).

 1. It would be nice to be able to navigate the Query object created by the
QueryParser.parse(String) and modify the Query expanding certain clauses
prior to calling Query.toString() to create the "did you mean" searches.
This would require accessor methods to navigate the query clauses and
methods to actually change the Query. These do not appear to be present in
the current API. To our minds the inferior alternative is to modify the
QueryParser itself to do the expansion and build in a expand/nonexpand
instruction into the QueryParser grammar. Does anyone have better ideas?

 2. A related issue is that we are basically happy with the standard Lucene
QueryParser though we need to make some minor changes to the grammar. In
this case it would be convenient to create an equivalent of the
Query.toString() method to serialize conforming to new grammar outside of
the Query class. The problem here is there don't appear to be enough
accessor methods in the Query classes to write a new X.toString(Query).

 Richard and Kiran