lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "MOYSE Gilles (Cetelem)" <>
Subject RE: Lock obtain timed out
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:44:42 GMT

I obtained this exception when I had more than one thread trying to create
an IndexWriter.
I solved it by placing the code using the IndexWriter in a synchronized

Hope it will help,

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Hohwiller, Joerg []
Envoyé : mardi 16 décembre 2003 11:37
À :
Objet : Lock obtain timed out

Hi there,

I have not yet got any response about my problem.

While debugging into the depth of lucene (really hard to read deep insde) I
discovered that it is possible to disable the Locks using a System property.

When I start my application with -DdisableLuceneLocks=true,
I do not get the error anymore.

I just wonder if this is legal and wont cause other trouble???
As far as I could understand the source, a proper thread
synchronization is done using locks on Java Objects and
the index-store locks seem to be required only if multiple
lucenes (in different VMs) work on the same index.
In my situation there is only one Java-VM running and only one
lucene is working on one index.

Am I safe disabling the locking???
Can anybody tell me where to get documentation about the Locking
strategy (I still would like to know why I have that problem) ???

Or does anybody know where to get an official example of how to
handle concurrent index modification and searches?

Tank you so much

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: