lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Disabling modifiers?
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:00:27 GMT
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 12:12  PM, Iain Young wrote:
> A quick question. Is there any way to disable the - and + modifiers in
> the
> QueryParser?

Not currently.

> I've had a bit of success by putting quotes around the offending
> names, (as
> suggested on this list), but the results are still less than
> satisfactory,
> (it removes the "NOT" from the query, but still treats DISP and NAME
> as two
> separate words rather than one word and so the results are not quite
> correct).

Treating them as two separate words when quoted is indicative of your
analyzer not being sufficient for your domain.  What Analyzer are you
using?  Do you have knowledge of what it is tokenizing text into?

> Any ideas, or am I going to have to try and write my own query parser?

This is an open issue in Lucene.  You and the community would be better
served if you were able to fix the existing QueryParser and submit the
fix back to us.  Is it possible someone has already done this and it is
pending in Bugzilla?  (I haven't checked, searching Bugzilla with
Safari doesn't work *sigh* - so it is a pain for me to do).

	Erik