lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ambiese...@gmx.de
Subject Probabilistic Model in Lucene - possible?
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:12:45 GMT
Hello group,

from the very inspiring conversations with Karsten I know that Lucene is
based on a Vector Space Model. I am just wondering if it would be possible to
turn this into a probabilistic Model approach. Of course I do know that I
cannot change the underlying indexing and searching principles. However it would
be possible to change the index term weight to eigther 1.0 (relevant) or 0.0
(non-relevant). For the similarity I would need to implement another
similarity algorithm.

I would highly appreciate it if the experts here (especially Karsten or
Chong) look at my idea and tell me if this would be possible. If yes, how much
effort would need to go into that? I am sure there are many other issues which
I have not considered...

Kind Regards,
Ralf