lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: DoubleMetaphoneQuery
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:13:47 GMT
On Dec 21, 2003, at 3:43 AM, David Spencer wrote:
> I would think that one tradeoff is a metaphone analyzer implies that
> one can only
> search w/ metaphones and can't do a more direct, exact spelling,
> search, while
> the metaphone query can be used on any index (at the cost of the
> dreaded term traversal).

An analyzer does not have to replace terms, it can also place metaphone
encodings in the same position, using setPositionIncrement(0).  There
are some fiddly issues that occur when position increment zero is used,
however - for example it is not possible to use that same analyzer with
QueryParser and have phrase queries work properly (but there is at
least one nice workaround).

So, exact spellings can be made to still work.

	Erik