lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Townsend" <david.towns...@magus.co.uk>
Subject RE: Lock obtain timed out
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:34:16 GMT
Does this mean if you can insure that only one IndexWriter and/or IndexReader(Doing deletion)
are never open at the same time (eg using database instead of lucene's locking), there will
be no problem with removing locking?   If you do not use an IndexReader to do deletion can
you open and close it at anytime?

David
-----Original Message-----
From: Morus Walter [mailto:morus.walter@tanto-xipolis.de]
Sent: 16 December 2003 11:08
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Lock obtain timed out

Hohwiller, Joerg writes:

> Am I safe disabling the locking???

No.

> Can anybody tell me where to get documentation about the Locking
> strategy (I still would like to know why I have that problem) ???

I guess -- but given your input I really have to guess; the source you
wanted to attach didn't make it to the list -- your problem is, that
you cannot have a writing (deleting) IndexReader and an IndexWriter open
at the same time.
There can only be one instance that writes to an index at one time.

Disabling locking disables the checks, but then you have to take care
yourself. So in practice disabling locking is useful for readonly access
to static indices only.

Morus