lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: FSDIrectory.create doesn't tolerate subdirectories
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:53:28 GMT
I agree.  One should provide Lucene with a unique path in the
filesystem, one that is not intended to be used for any other purpose.
All access to that path should be through Lucene's API.  The fact that
Lucene decides to create a directory there rather than a single file is
an implementation detail.

This is an interesting case to consider.  If Lucene created a single
file at the provided path which stored the entire index, would one then
be entitled to complain that one cannot make subdirectories of this file
for other purposes?  Clearly not.  Someday we may in fact wish to
implement Lucene that way.

Doug