lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Index and Field.Text
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:45:33 GMT
Tatu Saloranta wrote:
> Also, shouldn't there be at least 3 methods that take Readers; one for
> Text-like handling, another for UnStored, and last for UnIndexed.

How do you store the contents of a Reader?  You'd have to double-buffer
it, first reading it into a String to store, and then tokenizing the
StringReader.  A key feature of Reader values is that they're streamed:
the entire value is never in RAM.  Storing a Reader value would remove
that advantage.  The current API makes this explicit: when you want
something streamed, you pass in a Reader, when you're willing to have
the entire value in memory, pass in a String.

Yes, it is a bit confusing that Text(String, String) stores its value,
while Text(String, Reader) does not, but it is at least well documented.
  And we cannot change it: that would break too many applications.  But
we can put this on the list for Lucene 2.0 cleanups.

When I first wrote these static methods I meant for them to be
constructor-like.  I wanted to have multiple Field(String, String)
constructors, but that's not possible, so I used capitalized static
methods instead.  I've never seen anyone else do this (capitalize any
method but a real constructor) so I guess I didn't start a fad!  This
should someday too be cleaned up.  Lucene was the first Java program
that I ever wrote, and thus its style is in places non-standard.  Sorry.

Doug