lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: disable locks on read only indexes (performance improvement?)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:40:36 GMT
Dror Matalon wrote:

>>I would assume that removing this lock could increase performance
>>especially to allow multiple concurrent searches on the same data.
>>

>There was talk about providing that in an upcoming version. Until then
>you can try RODirectory:
>	http://www.csita.unige.it/software/free/lucene/

Looking at the source of FSDirectory it seem easy enough to add a
property to disable indexes.

This way if you wanted to search a directory and you new it was 100%
necessary to search it readonly you could go ahead and do it without
having to write lock files.

I will write some unit tests to see what the performance is here.  It
should be trivial to create an index of a few hundred megs and then run
about 200k queries across it with 30 threads or so... then disable locks
and see what the total time spent was...

If it's substantial I think it makes sense to make this contribution :)

Kevin

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D