lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject disable locks on read only indexes (performance improvement?)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:38:48 GMT
Would there be any performance improvement in query throughput and
latency if locking were disabled for readonly indexes?

It doesnt' seem like it makes sense to worry about locking if you know
for SURE that the index will NEVER be updated again.

I'm noticing this problem now.  We are running a live indexer which does
a commit every N documents (right now 100,000) and then swaps the new
index into the system live.  This index is never again updated and we
use a multisearcher.  We then do index merges after a while into new
indexes to keep performance high and reduce the number of indexes.

I would assume that removing this lock could increase performance
especially to allow multiple concurrent searches on the same data.

Kevin

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D