lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karsten Konrad" <Karsten.Kon...@xtramind.com>
Subject AW: Probabilistic Model in Lucene - possible?
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:50:58 GMT

Hi,

I would highly appreciate it if the experts here (especially Karsten or
Chong) look at my idea and tell me if this would be possible.

Sorry, I have no idea about how to use a probabilistic approach with
Lucene, but if anyone does so, I would like to know, too.

I am currently puzzled by a related question: I would like to know
if there are any approaches to get a confidence value for relevance
rather than a ranking. I.e., it would be nice to have a ranking
weight whose value has some kind of semantics such that we could
compare results from different queries. Can probabilistic approches
do anything like this?

Any help appreciated,

Karsten

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ambiesense@gmx.de [mailto:ambiesense@gmx.de]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2003 15:13
An: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Probabilistic Model in Lucene - possible?

Hello group,

from the very inspiring conversations with Karsten I know that Lucene is based on a Vector
Space Model. I am just wondering if it would be possible to turn this into a probabilistic
Model approach. Of course I do know that I cannot change the underlying indexing and searching
principles. However it would be possible to change the index term weight to eigther 1.0 (relevant)
or 0.0 (non-relevant). For the similarity I would need to implement another similarity algorithm.

I would highly appreciate it if the experts here (especially Karsten or
Chong) look at my idea and tell me if this would be possible. If yes, how much effort would
need to go into that? I am sure there are many other issues which I have not considered...

Kind Regards,
Ralf