lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Subject Re: Query expansion
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:38:37 GMT
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 05:59:34PM +0100, Viparthi, Kiran (AFIS) wrote:
> We want to provide "did you mean" search suggestions on our search results
> pages. Most of the "did you mean" searches will be derived from synonyms,
> translations and other information from our ontology(KAON).

Just a comment, I'm not really answering the questions you ask.

It would seem that frequency and, possibly, spelling play a big role in
google's "did you mean" strategy.

So if instead of searching "lucen index java" it suggests "lucent index
java" instead of what I was searching for "lucene index java" because
lucent shows up much more often than lucene.

It looks like for the most part this strategy works fine. I know that
it's not too hard to get a list of words and their frequencies, but I'm
not sure what the performence implication would be. Also, you'd need to
figure out a misspelling strategy, but I suspect that's not too hard.

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc