lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jt oob <jt2...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Ways to search indexes
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:54:58 GMT
Hi,

I have just indexed a lot of news (nntp) postings.
I now have an index for each topic (a topic can have many newsgroups)

The index sizes are:

2.6G Current Affairs
2.4G Celebs
119M Recreation
3.0M Tech - Mac
2.4G Tech - Windows
936M Tech - Linux
702M Tech - Other
 96M Tech - Consoles

This is still only early stages so i haven't yet done any parsing, just
treating each doc as plain text.

Originally I was merging all these indexes together, but this is now
not feasible with new additions being made to each index as new
postings arrive.
I optimize each index at midnight.

What is the best way to allow users to query either just one index, or
the whole lot?

My prototype was making a system call from and running my java program
to print all the results to the screen. I know this isn't the best way
to do it :-)

I guess I need to write a server and periodically re-open the indexes
to see any changes?

Thank you for any help!

jt