lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Subject Re: disable locks on read only indexes (performance improvement?)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:57:45 GMT
So, the lock is set, the segments file is opened, all the files in the
segments file are opened and then the lock is released? Is that correct?
And we're relying on the OS to keep the file handles around even if the
files are deleted under us? If so, I'm impressed that this is portable.

Dror

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:10:55PM -0800, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> >Would there be any performance improvement in query throughput and
> >latency if locking were disabled for readonly indexes?
>
> The locks are only consulted when opening a new IndexReader.  I doubt
> very much that you're doing this often enough for this to be significant.
>
> Doug

Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc
1700 MLK Way