lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Returning one result
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:13:02 GMT
On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 01:25  PM, Pleasant, Tracy wrote:
> Say ID is Ar3453 .. well the user may want to search for Ar3453, so in
> order for it to be searchable then it would have to be indexed and not
> keyword.

*arg* - we're having a serious communication issue here.  My advice to
you is to actually write some simple tests (test-driven learning using
JUnit is a wonderful way to experiement with Lucene, especially thanks
to the RAMDirectory).  Please refer to my articles at java.net as well
as the other great Lucene articles out there.

Let me try again.... a Field.Keyword *IS* indexed!  Even Lucene's
javadocs say this for this method:

   /** Constructs a String-valued Field that is not tokenized, but is
 >>>indexed<<<
     and stored.  Useful for non-text fields, e.g. date or url.  */

[I added the emphasis there]

> So after using
> TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new Term("id", term));
>
> How would I return the other fields in the document?
>
> For instance to display a record it would get the record with the id #
> and then display the title, contents, etc.

Umm.... you'd use *exactly* the same way as if you had used
QueryParser.  QueryParser would create a TermQuery for you, in fact,
except it would analyze your text first, which is what you want to
avoid, right?

Hits.doc(n) gives you back a Document.  And then
Document.get("fieldName") gives you back the fields (as long as you >>>
stored <<< them in the index too).

Again, please attempt some of these things in code.  It is a trivial
matter to index and search using RAMDirectory and experiment with
TermQuery, QueryParser, Analyzers, etc.

	Erik