lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dion Almaer" <d...@almaer.com>
Subject Dates and others
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:33:44 GMT

Hi guys -

First off I want to just give the Lucene project credit for producing an API like this.  Truly
great
stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone could share some wisdom on a couple of issues:

1. The power of dates:

   I am fairly happy with the results of queries on my index.  The only issue I have is that
at the
moment the date of the content isn't considered (since lucene doesn't know about it).  Is
there a
good way in which the date of the content could be used to help with the scoring?  So more
recent
content shows up higher in the stack.  I have a date keyword field, but it isn't part of the
query
itself.  Are there any patterns to help with this?

2. +field:foo and the QueryParser:

   I ran into some problems where using +field:foo was giving strange results.  When I changed
the
queries to "... AND field:foo" everything was fine.
   Am I missing something there?

3. I have some fields suck as title, owner, etc as well as the content blob which I index
and use as
the default search field.  Is there an easy way to extend the QueryParser to merge it with
MultiTermQuery which can also search this meta data and give them certain weights?  Or, if
you go
down this path do you have to leave the QueryParser behind and build your own queries?  Any
best
practices would be great.

Sorry for bugging the list.

Cheers,