lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Joseph Wilkicki" <jwilki...@contextmedia.com>
Subject Problem with Date Range search
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:42:25 GMT
Hi all!

I'm having a problem with searching dates.  I created two documents with the
same date, 08/27/2002, in a lastModified field and then try and search a
range lastModified:[20020827 TO 20020827] (Other, wider ranges, don't seem
to help).  My understanding is that this should return my two documents
because the range is inclusive.  As a related aside, I can't seem to get any
range to work properly at all.  Here is a snippet of code describing what
I'm doing:

	  DateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd");

        Date date = formatter.parse("2002-08-27");

        Field field1 =
Field.Keyword("lastModified",DateField.dateToString(date));

        Field field2 =
Field.Keyword("lastModified",DateField.dateToString(date));

        Document doc1 = new Document();

        doc1.add(field1);

        Document doc2 = new Document();
        doc2.add(field2);

        RAMDirectory dir = new RAMDirectory();

        IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir,new
StandardAnalyzer(),true);

        writer.addDocument(doc1);
        writer.addDocument(doc2);

        writer.close();

        IndexReader reader = IndexReader.open(dir);

        QueryParser parser = new QueryParser("lastModified",new
StandardAnalyzer());

        Query query = parser.parse("lastModified:[20020827 TO 20020827]");

        System.out.println(searcher.explain(query,1));
        System.out.println(searcher.explain(query,2));

        Hits hits = searcher.search(query);

The explanations read as follows:

NaN = product of:
  0.0 = sum of:
  NaN = coord(0/0)

NaN = product of:
  0.0 = sum of:
  NaN = coord(0/0)

I have checked, and the directory does have 2 documents in it when I search.
I have also echoed the Date objects out and the DateFormat seems to be
parsing the date correctly.  I am using Lucene 1.3 RC1.  Any insight into
what I'm doing wrong here would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Wilkicki
Software Engineer
Context Media, Inc.